Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Possible pre-menopause syptom
Help4Mindy posted:
Background- 47, still have period, exercise regularly, not overwt or on any medications.
This started in January and has been consistent each cycle. The day prior to my period one area below my left eye (only) gets puffy. It looks like a terrible allergic reaction but is not. It lasts about 24 hours.
I don't have any friends or docs who know what's going on. And I have asked several.
Per my last dr visit, I have tried taking and antihistamine and tried a nasal spray anti-hist/steroid neither have brought down the puffiness.
I am trying to figure this out to address without hormones.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Help4Mindy,
This is an interesting question, and I'm not sure exactly what to suggest. It's certainly not a common problem, and I too would have suggested an antihistamine. The other thought might be to try something like Aleve-prostaglandins are released at the time of a period; and they usually give women cramps. Could they be giving you some strange swelling? I would think it's a possibility. Aleve is naproxen, which is a prostaglandin making blocker-so I would think it's worth a try-but I can assure you this is not a super common symptom.
Let folks here know what happens with it-
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Help4Mindy replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you. I will try that next. It is something I can only address as it occurs so a little frustrating as you may imagine to be so patient. I usually take ibuprofen the first 2 days as I have always had cramps. But, not before it comes.
I will let you know what happens.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website