Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Skip a day w/Femhrt
kadee5993 posted:
Hello I am new here and looking for an answer...I am on Femhrt and it finally is helping me with those menopause symptoms..

Everytime I get my presc. filled it costs me 75.68 each month..I can't afford that, now that I have been on this for 3 months and the symptoms is cured can I just skip a day taking this medication and not everyday? to prolong the medication of which I cannot afford?

the dosage is 0.5.

also where are these so-called coupons that everyone and their mother under the sun is telling me to get online? I don't see none, nada,zilch. can't use those discount rx cards cause I already have insurance. thx for your answers and time

Anon_6061 responded:
Have you price shopped and asked for rates with and without insurance? Sometimes it can be cheaper NOT to use insurance. I know that sounds crazy but it does happen. And then you could use a discount card if you can find one. Google "prescription discounts" to see what's available. Also, a similar med may be cheaper so talk to the pharmacist about that if you're willing to switch to a different estrogen/progestin med.

Getting an Rx written for 90 days instead of 30 can sometimes save too. But of course, then you have to come up with the funds to pay for 90 days at a time. Get quotes for that too. I've heard that Costco has some good Rx prices and you don't have to be a member.

Missing a day here or there of your combined (estrogen plus progestin) HRT won't matter although you may have some "breakthrough" symptoms (such as hot flashes). You won't know until you try. Depending on how long each hormone (estrogen vs progestin) stays in your body, going too many days in a row without it could cause some spotting from the progestin withdrawal.

Good luck in your quest to find more affordable HRT!

kadee5993 replied to Anon_6061's response:
[br>Getting an Rx written for 90 days instead of 30 can sometimes save too. But of course, then you have to come up with the funds to pay for 90 days at a time. Get quotes for that too. I've heard that Costco has some good Rx prices and you don't have to be a membe

someone at work said the same thing as to see to getting the prescription written for 90 days..as I have mentioned before i started these pills back on May 8th, so i guess this med had enough time to be absorbed in my body to skip a day..
There is Jintelli a generic brand but that's in a higher dosage..
I will try Costco like u mentioned...thx ever so much

Anon_6061 replied to kadee5993's response:
One other thought - some pills can be split. So can most of the patches. So if you choose one that can be split, you could work with your doctor to get a prescription for a higher dose and then cut them to last longer. Sometimes we have to get creative with our health care dollars

kadee5993 replied to Anon_6061's response:
thanks you are a lot of help...I guess i can purchase a pill cutter at a drugstore...these pills are super tiny..

higher dosage pill cutter

Anon_6061 replied to kadee5993's response:
Some pills aren't supposed to be cut so you may want to check with your pharmacist or there may be something online. However, if cutting them compromises their effectiveness, it would probably become obvious as your menopausal symptoms return!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website