Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hot Flashes
survivor0805 posted:
I am new to this sight and have been desperately searching for answers. I am praying to God someone out there can help me. I am 49 years old and due to the chemotheraphy I had 8 years ago I am having exteme menopausal symptoms...mostly depression and terrible hot flashes that have caused me to almost go on disability becuase of no sleep. I can't take hormones and I have tried almost every over the counter med available plus antidepressents. I think I finally found help with Macro Root Powder but now I am concerned that this will increase my chances of my breast cancer coming back...Does anyone know what the risks are? I know my cancer was not Estrogen Positive and I am running out of solutions...PLEASE HELP!!

An_252604 responded:
Try MENO Support (herbcare.co). It is an all natural herbal product. The formula was used for thousand years for relieving menopause symptoms. My friend who studying Chinese medicine recommend it to me. I've used for about 2 months. All the symptoms are well under control. Why not give it a try? I don't see any side effect, at least for me and my other friends. Hope you get well soon!

Anon_6061 responded:
I'm sorry you're going through this! I can really relate as I had life-shattering symptoms following an unwarranted hysterectomy. The depression was the worst to the point of being suicidal. But a good level of estrogen brought me out of the "living" dead.

I know doctors tend to freak out when discussing HRT after a breast cancer diagnosis. Since yours wasn't estrogen receptor positive, it would seem that you could take estrogen. Was it progesterone receptor positive? If it was, it seems that progesterone or a progestin (which you would need to protect your uterus) would be risky. However, if you take a very low dose of estrogen, maybe P wouldn't be needed or maybe you could use a vaginal form or an IUD which may be less risky than oral.

Of course, you need to weigh quality of life against risks. It's important to advocate for yourself by doing your own research and then seeking out a knowledgeable doctor who will listen to you and do what's best for you as an individual, not only from a recurrence risk standpoint but also from a quality of life standpoint.

I personally know women who take HRT after having had breast cancer but don't recall their BC details.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website