Skip to content
Hair loss and thinning hair with menopause
Ibpattieo posted:
I'm 2 years into menopause and have not needed any medication. Within the last 6 to 8 months I've had thinning hair and hair loss. Thyroid has been checked...do I need hormones? Or will vitamins or herbs help?

Anon_6061 responded:
Are you in natural menopause (still have your uterus and both ovaries)? I'm in surgical menopause and lost over half my hair very quickly post-op. I know hair loss can also happen with natural menopause but it seems less frequent and not as severe. But I'm sure it's just as devastating.

I'm on HRT and it hasn't given me back my hair. I used Rogaine for a number of months and it must have been helping because when I quit using it, I had increased shedding. So I'm going to start using it again but not the 2x per day that they recommend because I don't think my loss is DHT related.

Ibpattieo replied to Anon_6061's response:
Natural menopause. I was thinking about using Rogaine. Someone suggested taking pre-natal vitamins. Or maybe Knox geletin...they still sell that stuff?

Anon_6061 replied to Ibpattieo's response:
I've heard of those options too - prenatal vitamins and Knox gelatin. I've read too that rinsing hair with Knox gelatin can add some volume. Let us know what you try and if it helps.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website