Skip to content
Postmenopause
USAKDOG posted:
I am 54 years old and postmenopausal. No period for 5 years. I was on HRT for two and a half years and stopped. Recently I have been experiencing severe hot flashes and some severe anxiety. I talked with nurse practitioner that stated that menopausal symptoms can return when HRT was used in the onset. She suggested an anti-depressant, Celexa, which my pharmacist said was not a good choice. What other options do I have that would be safer to help me through this.

An_252350 responded:
Postmenopause is defined as the time after menopause. Technically, a woman is postmenopausal from the moment menopause occurs until the end of her life.

Differences between Post Menopause and MenopauseDoctors define menopause as a single moment when a woman has not menstruated for 12 whole months. After this point, a woman is postmenopausal.

Average Age of Post MenopauseOf course, all women experience changes differently, and therefore the age-range of when women first become postmenopausal is great. Natural postmenopause (as opposed to induced) usually begins in women between their late 40s to early 60s.

Symptoms:
"022 Vaginal dryness and itching
"022 Weight gain
"022 Stress incontinence
"022 Urinary tract infections
"022 Insomnia
"022 Occasional hot flashes

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful