Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Postmenopause
USAKDOG posted:
I am 54 years old and postmenopausal. No period for 5 years. I was on HRT for two and a half years and stopped. Recently I have been experiencing severe hot flashes and some severe anxiety. I talked with nurse practitioner that stated that menopausal symptoms can return when HRT was used in the onset. She suggested an anti-depressant, Celexa, which my pharmacist said was not a good choice. What other options do I have that would be safer to help me through this.

An_252350 responded:
Postmenopause is defined as the time after menopause. Technically, a woman is postmenopausal from the moment menopause occurs until the end of her life.

Differences between Post Menopause and MenopauseDoctors define menopause as a single moment when a woman has not menstruated for 12 whole months. After this point, a woman is postmenopausal.

Average Age of Post MenopauseOf course, all women experience changes differently, and therefore the age-range of when women first become postmenopausal is great. Natural postmenopause (as opposed to induced) usually begins in women between their late 40s to early 60s.

Symptoms:
"022 Vaginal dryness and itching
"022 Weight gain
"022 Stress incontinence
"022 Urinary tract infections
"022 Insomnia
"022 Occasional hot flashes

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website