Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    An_252760 posted:
    I have not had my period in well over a year. However, I have just begun staining. Should I be concerned as there is a family history of ovarian cancer? (I have not been to a doctor in over two years.)
    Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
    Dear An_252760,
    I think my response somehow didn't make it to the page. Indeed, any bleeding after a year of no periods does merit investigation. It will most likely turn out to be nothing bad, but it does merit investigation. Now the question that I will ask you is what is your family history of ovarian cancer? If you have two first degree relatives (like mother, sister, or daughter) with ovarian or breast cancer, you should consider the possibility of doing BRCA testing, as we saw with Angelina Jolie. So when you check in with your health care provider, do discuss with her or him the family history issue.
    Good luck,
    Mary Jane

    Featuring Experts

    Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

    Helpful Tips

    Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
    Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    33 of 47 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website