Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Taking Progesterone and Got Period
Rockofgib posted:
I haven't had a period for 10 months, prior to that it was 6 months. I have been on estrogen for about 13 months and progesterone for about 11 months. When I started progesterone it was on a daily basis. I got a period after taking progesterone for 1 month and was told to take it twice a day for 14 days, then off for 14, etc. That wasn't working for me. I was forgetting and very dizzy after taking it in the morning. So I went back to daily. Also started counting all over again. After 10 months I just got my period again!! Do I stop taking the progesterone while on my period? Not sure what I should or shouldn't be doing now that it's back again. Hopefully only this month and of course, start counting all over again. What should I do?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Rockofgib,,
The fresher you are into the perimenopausal period, the likelier you are to develop bleeding on daily progesterone. Ao I would definitely check in with your health care provider, and see what type of a regime (s)he would recommend. It sounds like you are taking micronized natural progesterone. (I'm inferring that from the fact that you got dizzy in the AM from taking it then). One option you might consider is switching at least temporarily to a synthetic progestin, like Aygestin, which is unlikely to make you lightheaded, no matter when you take it, and is a bit better at controlling bleeding than Prometrium. Another option might even be to consider going on to a low dose oral contraceptive (as long as you are a good candidate) until you are a bit farther into the menopausal process.
So there are options, but on this one you need to be working with your health care provider.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website