Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
question about biopsy of uterine lining
An_250567 posted:
I've just had a couple of very, very light periods each year the past couple of years (four in two years). Recently I had a very, very, very heavy period lasting 10 days. Midway through my period, I called my gyn wondering if it was normal. I went in, had an U/S which showed a thickening of the lining, but no cysts or fibroids. My FSH is 33. Because that numbers indicates possible menopause, my doctor would like to take a biopsy in case the bleeding wasn't a period. I am scheduled for that later this week. I am going out of town this weekend and will have opportunity to swim in a pool and float a river. Will I be restricted from getting in the water after the biopsy? If so, for how long?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_250567,
You raise a couple of good questions. Some gyns do recommend waiting a few days before resuming swimming; so you might want to check to see what your gyn's preference is. I think it is perfectly reasonable to wait to do the biopsy, if they don't want you swimming right after it. (in other words, although I do think the biopsy is a good idea, I think there is only a small chance of finding anything bad-so it would be fine to wait a week or two.)
With an FSH of 33, you are certainly at least perimenopausal; until you go a full year without any bleeding, we cannot say you are fully menopausal.
Good luck, hope all goes well,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website