Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Postmenopause
dusty2927 posted:
I also suffer from postmenopausal anxiety and have been a lifelong migraine sufferer. I had the migraines under control using an herbal combination of B vitamins, minerals, St. John's Wort, SAMe, and 5-HTP. I went to my nurse practitioner a year ago because of the anxiety and she prescribed 37.5 mg of Effexor, but that necessitated going off the herbal combination. The Effexor was effective for the anxiety, but the migraines have returned with a vengence. Now the NP wants to taper me off the Effexor and replace it with Inderal for the migraines. I was on Inderal several years ago and it was not effective. Should I try the Inderal again or go back to the herbal combination, and how do I deal with the anxiety now?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Dusty2927,
Have you tried any estrogens? You may well be a good candidate for low dose transdermal estrogen, in the form of a patch or gel (such as Divigel or Elestrin)-all of these are bioidentical and plant derived. And you can balance these out with micronized natural progesterone (presuming you have not had a hysterectomy.) Many women with headaches and anxiety will benefit from using estrogens-so don't discount it as an option.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website