Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Menopause symptoms 16 years after full hysterectomy
dealande posted:
I had a full hysterectomy when I was 27 because of endometriosis. I was on hormone replacement therapy for several years. I haven't taken anything for about 3 years. I am 43, and over the last month I have started having hot flashes, dry skin, trouble sleeping, vaginal dryness and itching, etc. Is it possible to be going through some kind of menopause now? I also have type 2 diabetes, but my blood sugars are well controlled. Could it be related to that?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Dealande,
These certainly can be menopausal symptoms; usually when they are related to diabetes, it is when glucoses are out of control. I would strongly encourage you to think of trying some low dose transdermal estrogens (patches or gels)-They would most likely alleviate your symptoms. But as important is that you are a very young woman to have no ovarian function; and very young women without estrogen are at significantly higher risk of developing osteoporosis and heart disease without estrogen. Have you spoken to your endocrinologist about this? And if your gynecologist isn't comfortable with menopausal issues, you can go to menopause.org, the website of the North American Menopause Society, to find a menopause practitioner near you.
Good luck, and I think you'll feel better soon,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website