Includes Expert Content
back to back hot flashes
deb105 posted:
I am 50 years old and had an ablation done 10 yrs ago. I have recently started a period again after 91/2 yrs with nothing. It's very heavy at times and to some degree is almost constant. Also I started hot flashes, getting them back to back sometimes (very annoying). Is this normal?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear deb105,
Lots of comments with folks and ablations this week; and I must say this is a bit of an unusual situation. Again, although I'm not usually into measuring blood levels of hormones, in a situation like this, it might be helpful to measure an FSH and estradiol, to get a ballpark figure for what your ovaries are up to. And given the somewhat unusual bleeding pattern, your gyn will probably want to investigate the lining of your uterus. Unfortunately, after an ablation it is sometimes difficult to assess the lining of the uterus from an ultrasound, and you may need to have a sampling of the lining of your uterus (endometrial biopsy). But your gyn should be able to get you comfortable with the hot flashes and get the bleeding under control, once (s)he has the information from the evaluation.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

deb105 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thanks so much, I have an appointment this Monday.