Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Can I go on HRTs with Triple Negative Breast Cancer Diagnosis?
survivor0805 posted:
I am 49 years old and had breast cancer 8 years ago. I am now having eextreme hot flashes, severe depression and very little sleep. Due to my cancer dagnosis, I have not gone on any hormone replacement therapy but the over the counter medications do not seem to work anymore...I have tried Chinese Meds, Black Cohosh, and I-Cool. Antidepresents were keeping me awake. Since my cancer was not hormone receptive, does anyone know the risk if I go on some type of hormone replacement therapy??
Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Survivor0805,
A couple of easy suggestions. You mentioned that you had tried black cohosh; have you tried the specific brand of Remifemin? Quality of some black cohosh products are quite variable; Remifemin is a standardized product-it still might not work, but you'll know exactly what you are getting. One option coming out this fall is a very low dose of paroxetine; it will be called Brisdelle, and seems to have fewer of the antidepresssant side effects, because of its dose, but it does have hot flash efficacy. I do think that you may well be a good candidate for HT, given that you are many years out (that's terrific) from a triple negative tumor. Is your oncologist OK with you doing some low dose HT? if (s)he is, and your gynecologist is OK, too-sounds totally reasonable to me. If your oncologist is fine with it, and your gyn is not, go to the North American Menopause Society's website,, for a list of menopause folks near you, to discuss this situation.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website