Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Oh great!
Butterface posted:
I have a question: I am 43 years old.. I have been having weirdo periods ever since I ever started my period. I am every 23 to 25 days, (was worse when I was under weight and I am not now)... here's the dilemma; This means I have been releasing an egg faster than the average woman.... which also means I will start menopause sooner? second question: is there a way I can slow the *releasing the egg* cycle? maybe the Marina IUD? or anything else?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Butterface,
Good questions. As far as the releasing eggs business: I would doubt that you will become menopausal any earlier than someone who has a longer cycle; family history would still be the most relevant factor. In general, women ovulate about fourteen days before they get their periods; so in someone with a shorter cycle, (counting day 1 as the first day of your period) you are probably ovulating around day 9 to day 11. The Mirena does not stop ovulation, so that wouldn't make any major difference, except that your periods would tend to be lighter (it acts on the lining of your uterus.) Birth control pills do shut down ovulation, but they do not tend to make women go into menopause any later.
Hope that's helpful,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Zocia replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Dr. Minkin, I wonder if you can answer a similar question, I am 45 and have had 3 ovarian cyst surgeries in the past, 2 were dermiod and one resulted in an oopherectomy. I have been on birth control pills for almost 20 yrs now to prevent cysts, and about 10 years ago or so, through the dr's advice I started taking the pill back to back. I do allow my body to have a period every 3 or 4 months. Recently, I have been having wicked hot flashes, difficulty sleeping, and sometimes wanting to cry for no apparent reason. I spoke with one nurse that told me that because I have not ovulated all of those years, I am going to be in a peri state for a long time to get rid of all of those eggs. Help! You had mentioned that the pill does shut down ovulation, but am I in for heat waves and hormone shifts forever? My mother's lasted ten years, am I sentenced for twenty? Signed, Zocia

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to Zocia's response:
Dear Zocia,
I am confused-are you still taking the pill? if you are, I'm not sure why all of a sudden you'd be getting hot flashes-if you're still on the pill, I'd start looking at things like thyroid issues. I have no idea why the nurse told you that stuff about getting rid of the eggs-no, that is not an issue-even on the birth control pill, your ovaries slow down-you do not have to get rid of eggs. So don't look for 10 years of perimenopause! Do let us all know if you are still on the pill-if you aren't then you might want to do some hormonal tests (like estrogen levels) but if you are on the pill, I'd look to other things, like thyroid dysfunction.
good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website