Bleeding and Menopause
cootnbear posted:
Please I need help. I am 51 years old and haven't had period since January 2011. I started spotting about 6 days ago. It has gotten to the point where I have to wear a pad now. It is not heavy bleeding at all. It is not light bleeding. It is about medium. I can use just 2 pads a day. Today I have started a pain in my lower right part of my stomach. I am assuming it is my ovaries. It is a sharp dull ache. I don't have insurance and don't work. I have been told by several people to go to the OBGYN but like I said I don't have insurance. I am thinking I am going to have to bite the bullet and do something. I wanted to know if this is normal or really something I should be concerned about. My husband is freaking out about it. I don't have any friends to ask about this because they are not going through menopause yet and my mom isn't here anymore to ask her. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

julia60 responded:
If you are that scared you should just go to the ER. They cannot turn you away. Just tell them your concerns about money and they will work with you. Your health is more important then money.

Anon_6061 responded:
There have been several other women who've posted here about bleeding after menopause. I've read (and I think WebMD expert Dr. Minkin has mentioned also) that oftentimes it's nothing serious especially when it occurs in the early years post-meno. Some of the common causes are sporadic ovarian activity, fibroids, polyps. With the pain, it's possible you have an ovarian cyst (the hormonal actions of which can cause bleeding). Even after menopause, cysts are usually benign and tend to resolve on their own - http://ovaryresearch.com/ovarian_cysts.htm. But it's always recommended that post-meno bleeding be investigated. Typically, they do an ultrasound and/or endometrial biopsy.

Is there a Planned Parenthood or other women's clinic in your area? Hoping it's nothing serious.