Includes Expert Content
perimenopause
julia60 posted:
I am a 52 y/o white female. I had gone 6 months without a period a year and a half ago. I had monthly periods prior to that but the blood was brown and only lasted a day or two. Cramps were bad and would start a week before. When I left my husband for 6 months, my periods stopped.
Six months later I came back and so did my periods. The blood was still brown. About 7 months ago I left my husband and divorced. Periods stopped again.
Yesterday I got a full blown period like I use to in my teens. I have significant cramping pain, stabbing pain off and on in both ovaries, and moderate to heavy bright red bleeding.
Is this unusual?

Anon_6061 responded:
Physical and emotional stressors can definitely alter the menstrual cycle. And the menopause transition (perimenopause) alone can cause missed periods. I know some women who've gone almost a full year without a period only to start back up. The cramping is probably from all the built up blood that is now being expelled.

julia60 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thank you for your reply. I don't mind getting a period. It means I still have some estrogen and progesterone left right?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to julia60's response:
Dear Julia60,
Indeed as Anon_6061 pointed out, stressors can certainly influence menstrual cycles. Having a period usually does indicate that there is estrogen around; we cannot be sure about progesterone (sometimes we sort of get "overflow" bleeding, which can occur in the absence of progesterone.)
Hope your life becomes less stressful.
Good luck,
Mary Jane