Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
julia60 posted:
I am a 52 y/o white female. I had gone 6 months without a period a year and a half ago. I had monthly periods prior to that but the blood was brown and only lasted a day or two. Cramps were bad and would start a week before. When I left my husband for 6 months, my periods stopped.
Six months later I came back and so did my periods. The blood was still brown. About 7 months ago I left my husband and divorced. Periods stopped again.
Yesterday I got a full blown period like I use to in my teens. I have significant cramping pain, stabbing pain off and on in both ovaries, and moderate to heavy bright red bleeding.
Is this unusual?
Anon_6061 responded:
Physical and emotional stressors can definitely alter the menstrual cycle. And the menopause transition (perimenopause) alone can cause missed periods. I know some women who've gone almost a full year without a period only to start back up. The cramping is probably from all the built up blood that is now being expelled.
julia60 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thank you for your reply. I don't mind getting a period. It means I still have some estrogen and progesterone left right?
Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to julia60's response:
Dear Julia60,
Indeed as Anon_6061 pointed out, stressors can certainly influence menstrual cycles. Having a period usually does indicate that there is estrogen around; we cannot be sure about progesterone (sometimes we sort of get "overflow" bleeding, which can occur in the absence of progesterone.)
Hope your life becomes less stressful.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website