Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
It's back!
jane62 posted:
I am 51 years old, I haven't had my period in 3yrs and 1 month. Got it 3 days ago. I'm planning on going to the doctor. The few things I've read on line don't sound good. Is there anyone with personal experience? Please take the time to reply. Thanks
Anon_6061 responded:
There have been several other women who've posted here about bleeding after menopause. I've read (and I think WebMD expert Dr. Minkin has mentioned also) that oftentimes it's nothing serious especially when it occurs in the early years post-meno. Some of the common causes are sporadic ovarian activity, fibroids, polyps. But it's always recommended that post-meno bleeding be investigated. Typically, they do an ultrasound and/or endometrial biopsy.

You can search this forum for other posts and filter to include "expert content" so that you also get Dr. Minkin's posts.

Hope it's nothing serious!
jane62 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thank you for taking the time to answer. This is my first time on WEB MD and I will use it again.
Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to jane62's response:
Dear Jane62,
I also thank Anon_6061 for her response as well. Indeed all bleeding which occurs more than one year after the last menstrual period bears investigation; however, the majority of the time it is not a "doom and gloom" problem, but indeed related to sporadic ovarian activity, or a polyp in the lining of the uterus. But it does bear investigation, which will usually include an ultrasound of the lining or a sampling of the lining of the uterus (endometrial biopsy)-
Good luck, hope it goes well,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website