Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Menopause?
HelpMenopausal posted:
I have had some extra facial hair on my chin. Could this be caused by less estrogen or something to do with menopause??

Also, what all natural aid woudl be best for HOT flashes?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear HelpMenopausal,
In general, the facial hair appearing with perimenopause has to do with the fact that estrogen levels are indeed going down; but that the ovaries (and the adrenal glands) are still making some androgens (testosterone type substances)-and the relative excess of these compounds does tend to promote the facial hair.
As far as the non medical approaches to hot flashes, the most reliable would be to increase soy into your diet (you could also try a supplement with isoflavones which are the weak plant estrogens in soy-something like "Icool") and black cohosh (such as the product Remifemin)-both are available over the counter.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

ajk1962f replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Hi Dr. Minkin,

Thank you for your response to the previous poster. I am 51 and not yet in menopause, but am concerned about the hair issue. Does the androgen production eventually go down? That is, will the unwanted hair become less of an issue as we get older?

Thanks,

ajk1962f

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to ajk1962f's response:
Dear ajk1962f,
Yes, in general, the ovarian production of androgen does decline over the course of time; but its drop is later than estrogen. Dermatologists do have some topical remedies available to apply to the skin to reduce some of that unwanted hair, as well.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

ajk1962f replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I thank you, and my tweezers thank you.

ajk1962f

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website