Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
menopause and sleeplessness
jackson2014 posted:
my wife is having a difficult time sleeping, she has night sweets and can wake up during the night and lay there for hours trying to go back to sleep she doesn't want to take sleeping pills . what can she do?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Jackson2014,
I think it's wonderful that you are concerned about your wife, and want to help her. Sleep difficulties are unfortunately quite common in menopause. As I responded a couple of questions ago, there are some non medical approaches that might help.Increasing soy into her diet might help; and she could try an isoflavone supplement like "Icool". Remifemin, which is a black cohosh product, can be helpful; they also make a product called "Remifemin good night" which has some herbs in it besides the black cohosh; you get that on line or at a health food store. If those don't do the trick for her, have her speak with her health care provider; there are many remedies that might help her. And if her health care provider isn't comfortable in discussing menopause, you can go to menopause.org, which is the website of the North American Menopause society, which has a lot of excellent information, and also has a listing of menopause experts on it, to find someone near you.
Good luck, and again, thanks for caring,
Mary Jane

marvalus21 responded:
I have had insomnia and night sweats since 1980. I have tried everything and nothing works. I go to be tired and get up tired. Is is normal to have these symptoms for this long a time? I am now 72 and although they aren't as bad, it is still bothersome. I would like to have a good night's sleep since I am still working and I need some rest. I have had maybe 2-3 night's sleep since 1980.
Please help me.
Marvalus21

Vickieanne responded:
I keep a fan on all night directed at my legs and that helps. I use ZzQuil to sleep. Its over the counter and non habit forming.

An_253448 replied to marvalus21's response:
Marvalus21, I can't believe that this is normal, although I do not actually know. I cannot fathom the notion of insomnia for over 30 years. If no one provides you with an answer, please seek medical attention. Best, Samantha

Paladin9 replied to An_253448's response:
One can also get rid of caffeine and spicy foods. I cannot take black cohosh. It makes me break out into a rash all over. Since I gave up caffeine, my neck is dry when I wake up in the morning. I still sweat behind my ears though (LOL!) but it is much better and I sleep better. I am like Viickieanne and I sleep with the fan on me as well. Once the outdoor temps drop to 45F, I don't need the fan.

marvalus21 replied to marvalus21's response:
I go to the doctor all the time. When asked if I will have this problem for the rest of my life, she said yes.I don't know what else to do but Pray.
Thanks

Anon_6061 replied to marvalus21's response:
Marvalus - Is there something in your healthy history and have you been checked for things that may be causing this - hysterectomy, ovary removal, diabetes, thyroid disease?

Anon_6061 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Meant "health history" not "healthy history"

marvalus21 replied to Anon_6061's response:
I have all my innards, no diabetes or thyroid.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to marvalus21's response:
Dear Marvalus21,
Certainly many women suffer from waking up a lot in the middle of the night, as a consequence of menopause. Fortunately, usually it gets better for most women. And there are also lots of causes of insomnia.
If you haven't tried this product, consider it. The folks that make Remifemin, the German black cohosh product, make a product called Remifemin good night, which has valerian and other herbs in it; some of my patients seem to get some response. You can get it on line, or at a health food store. It seems to help some women with menopausal insomnia issues.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Darkened Skin above my lip
What can I do about dark skin above my upper lip. I have gone through menopause already. I have tried skin bleach to no avail. What do I ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website