Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
MENOPAUSE & SEX....
An_253358 posted:
I read so much about lack of libido after reaching menopause....and yet I am experiencing the opposite problem. I would love to experience sex 2-3 times a week, however my husband takes blood pressure meds (for a-fib also) as well as a mild pain med before bed for a healing ruptured disc. He works a high-stress job to boot. Sex is now nonexistent after many years of a great relationship. I have mentioned it to him, but don't want to make him feel inadequate or me appear to be too demanding/selfish. I would love the old days back....any ideas?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_253358,
This is a relatively common problem;unfortunately, both some medical conditions AND the medications to treat them can decrease libido and sexual performance. I often encourage my patients to discuss it with their partners and their partners' health care providers; because they can often substitute a different blood pressure medication, for example. Your gynecologist may be able to suggest a urologist in your town who deals with these issues; I regularly suggest one of my colleagues in town who is an expert on these matters-to consult with my patients' partners. If he's amenable, do speak with him about it; sometimes if you both visit an "interesting" website with sexual products on it, that can stimulate some discussion, and you might want to try some other activities.
Good luck
Mary Jane

smahmood replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
u can use lubricants and/or estrogens

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website