Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Premenopause-Menopause
Maybell1 posted:
I am 49 years old. The last year I have experienced slightly irregular periods. Nothing major...just missing a period one month but having 2 closer together the next time. The heaviness of my flow has not changed at all. It is still like it always has been, I am just less confident of when it is coming. For the last week, I have experience cramps and lower back pain which feels like I am going to get my period at any given moment. My period has not come, and the cramps and back pain is probably more intense than I have ever experienced when I menostrated normally. I have always been regular, and have always had normal pap tests. Is this normal symptoms for pre-menopause or menopause women. Or should I see my doctor and have a vaginal wand type ultrasound done. I have lost several young friends to Ovarian Cancer. Usually because they shrugged the symptoms off or just chalked them up to "normal female" issues. Should I be concerned?

Anon_6061 responded:
Changes in the menstrual cycle are the norm during the transition to menopause. Periods tend to become less predictable (sometimes coming more frequently, sometimes less) and flow can change too. So don't worry - you're normal LOL!

An_255055 responded:
Is it normal to miss 4 periods,have nite sweats and hot flashes and now have my period again

Anon_6061 replied to An_255055's response:
If you are of peri-menopausal age - YES! And beware - after missing a period or periods, you may have heavier and/or longer than normal flow.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website