Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Uterine Fibroids
An_253449 posted:
I was diagnosed with endometrial hyperplasia and given hormonal treatment for excessive bleeding. I had two fibroids and a few cysts. Once the treatment stopped I got back my problem. I was 45 years old then. So doctor suggested I could use mirena and see if the bleeding could stop. It worked. A recent abdominal scan shows that the fibroids have grown big about 9.6 x 6.5cm n 6.7x6.2cm.

If I have not got my periods for so long then how did the fibroids grow big. Does that mean that they have become cancerous. What is the treatment for this. Will removing the mirena work. Please suggest.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_253449,
Good questions. Probably the Mirena had very little to do with your fibroids growing; Mirena is just a progesterone like medication, which keeps the lining of the uterus from building up. However, you are still making estrogen (Your health care provider could even draw a blood level, to see about how much you are making)-and the estrogen is what is most likely causing the fibroids to grow. It might also be helpful to do an FSH test; although neither the estrogen level or the FSH will definitively tell you how close to menopause you are, you will get a ball park guesstimate.Why is this helpful? If indeed you are close to menopause, whenever you get to menopause your fibroids
will start to shrink. However, until then, they may continue to grow, and potentially become uncomfortable. The chance of fibroids becoming cancerous is very small. If your fibroids start growing rapidly, then further investigation is warranted; but again the chance is quite small.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website