Skip to content
What do you call gradual weening of HRT?
Heelskinz posted:
I've been on the patch for 5 years now and really afraid of getting cancer and think its time to get off the patch. I started changing the patch twice and week and then once a week. I am now up to 10 days before I change. What is the next progression and then be able to stop. I lost my job and don't have a doctor to help me with this.

Anon_6061 responded:
I believe most (maybe all by now) of the commonly used hormone patches are matrix technology which means they can be cut. This makes it easy to gradually reduce dosage by trimming off a greater amount every so often.

I'm curious if you have a family history of breast cancer and if you're on a combined (estrogen progestin) or estrogen-only patch. According to the Women's Health Initiative, taking estrogen without a progestin doesn't increase risk of breast cancer. The combined arm of the study was the one that showed a slight increased risk of breast cancer.

You didn't mention your medical history but in women without ovaries or compromised ovarian function (premature ovarian failure or gyn procedure triggered), the health and quality of life benefits of HRT may outweigh the risks.

I had a hysterectomy and have no plans to ever stop taking estrogen. But of course this is a personal choice.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website