Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Bio Idenicail Hormones
Peggysunshine posted:
I have a question. I have been on bio identical hormones for 10 weeks. I started to have a crawling feeling on my body and thought it could be the base it is mixed in. I changed pharmacy and had a non allergic cream mixed. It worked but for some reason I don't have the well being feeling I had on the other base cream. But the crawling was not fun. Im stuck and trying to figure out why that is. Now im wondering do I go back to the pharmacy I used first and have them compound with the non allergic cream. Because the one I changed to im not feeling the same at all ...can anyone help on ideas on this. Thank you

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Peggysunshine,
You can get prescriptions of bioidentical hormones from you health care provider-and the products are very well regulated, and amounts of hormones are quite well calibrated. For exaample, Divigel and Elestrin are both bioidentical estradiol, in gel forms. And all of the patches available (Minivelle, Vivelle and Climara) are all bioidentical estradiol (and all are plant derived)-and if you did the patch, you would have less issues potentially with what the estradiol is dissolved in. And again, all of these products have well calibrated amounts of estradiol. It think that would be the simplest solution for you.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Peggysunshine replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you so much Mary. I just now checked my messages and noticed you had responded. I was on the bio identical and because of all my ups and downs I stopped them. It has been a week in a half since I stopped them. Im giving my body time to rest.
In reference to your expertise in the bioidentical I had a few questions. The patch that you are referring to does it come and different doses? What about the progesterone? They say you need all the hormones...when I started I only did the estradiol and the progesterone. Every time I tried the testosterone I would have issues. It just seemed that for what ever reason something wasn't working. When going off the bio identical is there side effects for going off them.
Im happy to know that there are other options to consider and I appreciate you taking the time to visit with me concerning my situation. I will research those options and thank you again.
Mary I still don't know what the crawling feeling was.

Have a blessed evening
Peggy Sunshine

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to Peggysunshine's response:
Dear Peggysunshine,
Yes, the patches come in five different dosage levels which are easy to adjust. There are also two brands of patches that come with progestin in them, as well; and yes, if you have a uterus you want to take some progesterone as well as estrogen.
However, the progestins in the patches are not exactly bioidentical; they are plant derived, but not bioidentical. So if you want bioidentical progesterone, you can use the oral pill Prometrium, or the vaginal cream, Crinone or Prochieve.
so lots of options available, no problem
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Hi mary I have few questions I had taken bio hormones for 2 and a half months. Went off them because didnt kbow what was causing my problems. It has been 3 weeks I have been off. Them and I have been having alot of problems. Never in my life was I anioxus now I am and not skeeping and uneasy. Is this what happens when u go off of thr bio idenicail. Very scary I havent felt myself since I went iff them I pray these feelings go away. Before I started them 8 never felt like this...can u give me sone insight? Thank u for ur time. Sincerely peggysunshine

Dear Peggysunshine,
I think what is the most likely explanation is that you are experiencing menopausal symptoms, and that the hormones were helping you to feel better from the menopausal symptoms. So I would work with a health care provider who deals with menopause; and you two then can work out a plan of trying perhaps patches, or other estrogen gels (as we said there are plenty of bioidentical prescription products available) so that you will feel better. At this time of life, you often do need to adjust doses, so you want to be working with a health care provider with whom you feel comfortable,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Hi Mary

Thank you for your time on my concerns. I have to say I could not believe all my mis spelled words. I used my phone instead of my lap top. I appreciate you answering my questions. Mary before I got on the bio identical hormones I wasn't doing all this. So I thought it was because I got off the bio identical that created the problems im having...so I guess stopping them there isn't any reaction right. So if I got on them and later in life had to get off them I would not have a reaction? Mary I never relized there is so much involved when you have to fine a balance...Now one of the doctors I spoke to said that I could go on estrogen and only use when I have a hot flash and progestrin use when I cant sleep and use the hormones that way what is your thought on that? I always thought u had to have a balance. If all this im going through is menopause...I feel for all the ladies out there that have to deal with this,,,,i just want to be me again...thank you for your support on helping me...
sincerely
peggysunshine

Peggysunshine replied to Peggysunshine's response:
Dear Mary I hope you see this post and can give me some insight. I have had a virus for the last three weeks that has affected my stomach and sleep. I have been sleeping less and less which isn't me at all. I have lost 15pds the last two nights I have only had 3 hours sleep...im getting very scared. Never in my life have I had this problem, But before I got off the harmones I was having problems with my stomach and with sleepless nights aniouxness that started before I got off them we weren't sure what was doing what. Now the last two day with hardly any sleep...im not a pill taker at all. One day I took a half of a Xanax and my heart raced and I did sleep some that night and was out of it the whole next day. Ive been told benidlry will work so im going to try it tonight....My life has been so depressing....im not sure if it is the hormones or not. The doctor doesn't think the hormone have anything to do with it that it is a virus...do you know of any tips to help me.....I have a gastro doctor set up for next week,,,,i have felt like it is a parasite but they keep saying no....im at a loss and have felt like if I could just get my sleep back maybe I could be me again...this is a terrible virus and I hope no one gets this. Any input would be helpful. thank you Peggysunshine

Dear Peggysunshine,
A couple of thoughts. In general, menopause is not associated with any particular infections-so I think the menopausal symptoms and the virus symptoms are independent issues. However, with that being said, I think it might be a good idea to get back on the hormones now; loss of hormones will probably make your sleep issues that much worse; and it sound like your sleep is pretty terrible. So I'd start taking the hormone therapy now-and take it regularly, not on and off, a day at a time. I'd take your hormones, hopefully feel better, deal with these infectious and GI issues; and once they are dealt with, you can go off of the hormone therapy, and see how you do-does that sound like a plan?
Good luck,
Mary Jane

mary since I shared last I have been doing worse. Each night I have had three hours sleep. I can not believe what has happened to me..I have some progestrin cream and the capsules. Not sure which is best to use. Something has to happen soon. Im getting very scared because I never have been like this before. The sleeping is worse. I wonder if I should do the cream or the pill. In getting an appointment it takes weeks I don't have weeks. I used unisom last night only three hours sleep and then tonight I took unisom again and did not sleep and got up at three and took a half of a half of zanex and still waiting to sleep. Im not a pill taker I pray it works so I can get rest. Thank you again for your help. I still cant believe hormones can do this to you. I crying for help, I sure hope nothing else is wrong with me. All blood work shows ok had scans done all looks ok. I know some other people that have gone through this and it soon passes, They have been sick over a month with the sleeplessness and other system I hope I can be helped..thank yoy again God bless

Peggysunshine replied to Peggysunshine's response:
Hi Mary wanted to give you an update. I went 8 days with only 2hrs to 3hrs a night. This has been a time in my life that has really scared me because never have I done this before. My PC had to call in something strong to give me rest and I don't like to take any med but was told I could be put in hospital if I didn't take it and get rest, was able to get 8hrs rest. He test my hormones and did a blood test and it showed I was at 33 estrogen and 1.56 progestrin and according to the charts on the blood test it showed im not in menopause. Very confusing why one doctors blood work shows on thing and now this blood test showed completely different. I have my uterus and one right ovary and had a ablation 5 years ago. My last cycle were I spotted was in April. Could it be my ovary started working and I could have another period? Not sure if going off the bio identicail hormones caused all ot this...wish I knew. If you have any feedback I would love to hear. Thank you Peggy sunshine

OptimAge replied to Peggysunshine's response:
Hello Peggysunshine,
I just read through your thread and would like to give my input.

I agree with Dr. Minkin. What I believe has happened is that you are in fact in menopause. Your symptoms were being controlled by the hormones you were taking and now that you stopped them the symptoms are back in full force. This can happen when a patient starts HRT as soon as they enter menopause and then stop at a later date. They do not experience all of the symptoms of menopause because they started HRT early, but when they stop HRT they abruptly experience all of the symptoms the HRT had been treating.

My recommendation would be daily estradiol (patch or cream) and nightly oral progesterone. Progesterone taken orally at night will help most women sleep and feel better the next day. This effect is not seen with transdermal progesterone or non bio identical progestins.

I also believe your GI symptoms may well be from something unrelated, although the stress of not sleeping and sudden hormonal flux may also be the cause. Getting back on daily HRT should help regardless.

I hope this helps. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

David R. Golan, M.D.

Peggysunshine replied to OptimAge's response:
Dear David thank you for your interested in helping me. I appreciate your concern and expertise. Im so torn on what to do...I have been off the bio identical for 5 weeks. What is strange is my doctor ran a check on my hormones and said I wasn't in menopause my entro was 33 and the progestrin was 1.56. which on the chart I was at the low end but not showing menopause so im really confused. This last week I only had 2 ir 3hrs sleep each day and one of those none. The doctor said I was in a danger zone and something needed to be done so the started for night time 0.05 xanx and trazp-done 50mg worked the first night slept 8hr and last night spotting sleep 4hrs maybe so I don't know what to think ,,,,, im not one that likes meds at all I do not take meds maybe an asprin for a headache or a expectrant for a cough but that is it. Today im discouraged because I thought after the first night I would be back in sink with my sleeping.
Something I wanted to share is that when on hrt I never seemed to be at a balance when using the cream I felt like crawling under my skin thought I was allergic to it and the progestrin I had some of the same pins and needle feelings never understood what was happening...changed the base cream and everything went down hill from there for two week I became were I wasn't feeling well and by the second week was very anxious and feeling weird so I went off them . The hormone therpy place I was going it takes weeks to get into I have called in tears and they still don't find a spot to put me in so I might just need to go somewhere else. But the PC tells me NO do not start back at this time your body is all out of sink and he thinks it has been a virus that im trying to fight and the hormones I was taking has cause a huge unbalance in my system.....its been 6 weeks and the last week was a week of a nightmare that I didn't know if I was ever going to come out of it...I have to say Dr David I have been so scared and never in my life have I ever been so frightened. I think the big issue is im not getting any answers. My blood pressure started going out the ceiling too which they say is from not sleeping....can estrogen be dominant in me right now because its 33 and progestrin is 1.56? Thank you for caring and sharing..God Bless Peggysunshine

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website