Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Partial Hysterectomy - Taking bio HRT. Do I need to take progesterone and will my symptoms decrease
An_253468 posted:
I had a partial hysterectomy 2years ago. I still have my ovaries! I am 50 yrs old. Within the last 4 months, I have been experiencing pregnancy symptoms, anxiety, depression, hot flashes, thin hair, hair loss, etc. My Dr tested me and I have FSH level 26. I was on 100mg of progesterone for 2 weeks but Mage me groggy in the morning and switched to 50mg instead of 100mg. Also, Using BI-Est E2E3 cream. I still have the same symptoms. How long does it take for my symptoms to decrease and do I need to take progesterone when I had a partial hysterectomy?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_253468,
Please look at the answer to Peggysunshine's question; there are many prescription brands of bioidentical estrogen available, with very well regulated dosages available. If you have had your uterus removed, you do not need to take progesterone-progesterone is prescribed to counteract the stimulation of estrogen on the lining of your uterus-and without a uterus, no problem. Natural progesterone can indeed be sedating.
So no reason not to try the estrogen and I think you will find a dose that will work for you,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful