Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Partial Hysterectomy - Taking bio HRT. Do I need to take progesterone and will my symptoms decrease
An_253468 posted:
I had a partial hysterectomy 2years ago. I still have my ovaries! I am 50 yrs old. Within the last 4 months, I have been experiencing pregnancy symptoms, anxiety, depression, hot flashes, thin hair, hair loss, etc. My Dr tested me and I have FSH level 26. I was on 100mg of progesterone for 2 weeks but Mage me groggy in the morning and switched to 50mg instead of 100mg. Also, Using BI-Est E2E3 cream. I still have the same symptoms. How long does it take for my symptoms to decrease and do I need to take progesterone when I had a partial hysterectomy?

Anon_6061 responded:
I also had a hysterectomy and went through hell for 2 years...still not the person I was prior but can at least function.

I also experienced changes in my appearance due to (massive) hair loss, skin collagen loss, and loss of muscle mass. My other symptoms were severe depression, anxiety, fragmented sleep, extreme irritability, feeling overwhelmed by everything big and small, NO energy, NO motivation, inability to concentrate, memory loss (to the point of being scary).

HRT is a trial and error process. The delivery route (e.g., patch, pill, gel, cream, ring) and dosage that works for one woman may be a dismal failure for another. I was on the highest dose (.1 mg) patch and had all the above symptoms. But my gynecologist (surgeon) refused to see me so I was left "hanging."

Bi-est is typically 80% estriol / 20% estradiol and isn't strong enough for most women. You don't need to use a compounding pharmacy to get bio-ID HRT. There are many bio-ID HRT's available at retail pharmacies.

Since you don't have a uterus, you don't need progesterone. If you're using it as a "sleep aid" getting a more suitable estrogen may be all you need to improve your sleep. Typically, you should be able to go by symptoms to know if you're taking the right form and dose of estrogen. My symptoms are much better controlled when my FSH is in the pre-menopausal range. But I don't typically do labs.

Good luck in your HRT journey.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website