Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Perimenopause and nausea
JLC6467 posted:
I am 46 and began perimenopause 2 years ago. I am taking progesterone and my periods are irregular and consist mostly of spotting for a day or two. I am having a problem with severe nausea and fatigue that starts a week before I have a period and goes away immediately after the period starts. I take Nexium every day for a hiatal hernia. I have taken Zantac while the nausea is happening and it helps just a little. I just returned from vacation, and I lost a whole day during our trip due to nausea. What can I do for this?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear JLC6467,
Alas there is no obvious answer for your problem; it isn't a classic. A couple of things I might suggest. Has your GI doc tried any Reglan? (metaclopromide) it is an ancient and inexpensive drug, that works well for many folks for nausea and also for menstrual cramps-might be worth a try here. There is some very limited date on irritable bowel in women who have an exacerbation around their menstrual cycles; there is a bit of literature suggesting that believe it or not, evening primrose oil might be helpful -so try a couple of capsules a day, and see if it does help. Another option would be to put you on a low dose oral contraceptive, if you are a good pill candidate; it would stop the cycling-obviously I wouldn't want to put you on a high dose of estrogen because of your nausea, but a low dose pill might work for you.
Hope you feel better-
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website