Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
post menopause external itching
podunkcitizen posted:
I am 56 and post menopausal. The only surgery I had was tubal cauterization, back in the 80's; therefore, still have uterus and ovaries. Currently, I am suffering from EXTREME external itching all around my vulva. It is bright red, flaky, and extends all over my panty lines. I wear only 100% cotton panties. I have used external steroid/hormone creams in the past, which clear it up; however, I am loathe to use steroids/hormones of any kind continually. What homeopathic steps are available? I am on fire here! Help, please?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear podunkcitizen,
There are many causes for vulvar itching. Yeast infections and atrophic (lack of estrogen) vulvar changes are very common. One can have dermatologic conditions which can occur other places in the body can also occur on the vulva: eczema and psoriasis are among the most common. There is also a condition called Lichen sclerosis et atrophicus, or LS and A which can present like this. And the big scary thing in the background is vulvar cancer, which can present with itching. And you are absolutely correct: you don't want to use steroid creams non stop; they can cause atrophic changes as well. What you might do now is to treat the area (if you want to try some over the counter remedies) with a
combination of lotrimin (clotrimazole) cream, which is anti fungal (anti yeast); and some mild hydrocortisone cream (a mild steroid). If everything resolves, great. If not, I would recommend that you see a gynecologist, who may even want to take a skin biopsy to give you a definitive diagnosis of what is causing your itching.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website