Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Brown Vaginal Discharge
An_253496 posted:
I am 38, never had children, and my periods have almost always been regular until recently.
My normal cycles were 30 days apart and lasting for 5 days, the last 2 days of which would be brownish discharge (like old blood). I would refer to that as the body "cleaning itself out."
The last two months, I have had irregular periods. They've been coming about every two weeks, and are heavier and shorter than usual (about 3 days now).
This last period was about 3 weeks ago (mid August), and was again short and heavy. For the last week I've been having brown mucus-type discharge mixed with clear liquid. It is sometimes light and sometimes significant. Its elasticity is similar to that of the clear discharge that occurs around ovulation.
I have not experienced pain or cramping, but I am curious if I need to be concerned. Is this perhaps signs of premature menopause, or pregnancy, or what???
I began my periods at age 12, if that makes a difference....
Thank you.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_253496,
There are many things that can give women irregular bleeding. Certainly this could be a very early sign of perimenopause, but many other causes would be more likely. So I'd consult your health care provider-an exam, and perhaps an ultrasound, might be helpful.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website