Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
depo provera and menopause
helenkermit posted:
I went on the depo provera shot when I was about 31 and I am 50 now. My primary care doctor took me off of it for a short time when I was about 43 he thought it made me gain weight. I went off started getting hormonal migraines went back on and was fine. I feel better since i have been on the shot. I have more energy. I am not anemic. I dont get yeast unless i take strong antibiotics. i wondered how is the shot goin to affect menopause and how will i know when i am in it enough to where my periods will not come back.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Helenkermit,
You're asking a very good question. While you are on the repo, it will be impossible to tell when you are menopausal. What you'll need to do is to be off the shot for at least a few months to figure it out (and depo can last around the body for a while, like several months). As far as when to start investigating-that's the question. Average age at menopause in the US is about 51 and a half. Family history is relevant. So if all the women in your family became menopausal very early (like in their 40's) it might be worthwhile to have you stop the shot now. If all the women in your family were late, I'd be inclined to wait a while before stopping the injections to see where you are.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website