Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Topical Estradiol dosage and application
blissless24 posted:
I have been menopausal for over a year and still have my uterus and ovaries. My doctor prescribed topical Estradiol with Vit. E 2 mg to be applied to the vulvar vestibule twice daily to treat vaginal atrophy. The instructions say a "small amount" and do not specify exact amount or duration. Also, no instructions as to how to apply, with finger, with syringe, etc. Last, I thought that for women with an uterus, Progestin should be used together with Estradiol. Please advise.
Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Blissless24,
One of the problems of getting compounded medications is that it is difficult to find out exactly how much active medication you are getting. If you were getting the standard Estradiol vaginal cream (estrace cream) you would be receiving with the tube a standard applicator; and you would use 1 gram of the cream (basically one quarter of the applicator); eventually once the atrophy was under control, you would be using it about twice a week. you can use that applicator to insert the cream into the vagina; if you are having external dryness, you would take that amount of cream and rub it around your vulva. With topical estrogens (local estrogen therapy, or LET), you do not have to use progestin therapy because of the small amount of estrogen absorption. So I would go to the website for Estrace cream, which is the closest pharmaceutical product to what you are getting, to get more information.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 44 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website