Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Uterine Cancer?
vgardener posted:
I am 55 yrs old and went thru menopause 8 yrs ago; about 5 months ago I started bleeding again. I made an appt with my pc who made an appt with a gyn/ob who preceeded to tell me that since I was disgusting morbidly obese i prob had uterine cancer. She didn't take into consideration any reasons for my weight gain over the last year and a half, I admit part of it was emotional I took care of my mother for the last 2 yrs of her life with alzheimers without a day off, funny how family seems to abandon you at times but I digress.. She also told me I had diabetes which my pc said I didn't my aic (what ever that number is called) is 5.8 ok a little high but my glucose is 92. He said we should watch it but so far okay. She also didn't care when it came to my exam that I have a spinal cord tumor which makes it impossible for me to lay flat unless my legs are supported (not just my feet) and my back is in a raised position. If I wasn't so fat she would be able to do the exam, she understood that she couldn't get the speculum in because I had 3 c-sections and I was just to tight (Ok I thought she's nuts, it's not like I haven't had sex for 30 yrs and haven't had dozens of pap tests, but I let it slide) By now though I was over it I know I'm fat, I know I weigh 300 lbs, I know I hate myself for it, but don't pat me on the back for losing 30 lbs in the last 2 months. By the time I got in the car I was just so sad and angry I called my pc and they made an appt for another doc in town that wasn't a fat person hater.
He isn't and he is very nice and managed to give a pap test even though he told me he couldn't find my cervix, (I know it's there somewhere) By this time I had had a ultrasound both inside and outside. He told me the endrometrine lining was a little thick but not to bad. Of course by this time my bode decided not to bleed anymore so I had gone on 2 months. He decided to put me on progesterone for 10 days. That was a big mistake I had such severe side effects I wound up in the hospital for the day!
He also told me his "gut" told him I didn't have uterine cancer but really with my weight they wouldn't be able to help me anyway. He could send me the 200 miles to see an oncologist but they would probably tell me the same thing.
I have to say I live in a small town in central Oregon that is not known for having the best doctors, there are several and I think I have two of the best but who knows.
Now to my question, If I have uterine cancer am I doomed to pass on because I am so grossly fat or is there help for me? Am I being told this in an off hand but nice way because I am poor, I can know longer work because of my tumor so I live on a very modest income.
I am sad to think that my emotional problems and metabolic issues turned me into this fat person but is it fair to say there is nothing they can do because of it? Is it fair to say I am doomed to die because I am poor even though I have insurance? I don't understand, I don't want to die, geez I'm losing weight as fast as I can I quit smoking 89 days and counting! but I figure if this is it what's the point really (just kidding, I don't give up that easily.)
So where do I go from here? Take my doc's "gut feeling" and not worry about it (again it worries me about the caliber of doctors in this town) or look for another doctor? Someone please give me some advice.
Thanks for listening if nothing else

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear vgardener,
Sorry to hear about all the troubles you have had. Unfortunately, excess weight does significantly increase one's chances of developing cancer of the lining of the uterus. The reason is that fat tissue actually makes estrogen, and after menopause, when the ovaries are not making progesterone to help control the lining of the uterus, the estrogen just constantly stimulates the lining of the uterus; and occasionally it does become cancerous. One way to help is to try to find a progesterone that would help balance out the extra estrogen stimulating the lining. Of course not everyone who is overweight develops cancer of the uterus; it is a risk factor. One thing that I would strongly encourage you to do is to continue with good nutrition and exercise as best you can; and that you've lost weight already is excellent.
If one does have endometrial cancer, the vast majority of women are cured by a hysterectomy; so it is worth finding out if that is the diagnosis, as yes, it can be cured.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website