Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Severe Mood Swings
missalisa posted:
I have had a hysterectomy in 2009 and I am presently experiencing severe mood swings. Am I in menopause? I am constantly angry over things that occur years ago that I guess I never addressed at that time. I feel miserable all the time. I need answers quick. Please!

Take the Poll

Is bipolar systems related to menopause?
  • YES
  • NO
  • MAYBE
  • NOT SURE
vote
View Poll Results

Anon_6061 responded:
I can sympathize! I lost my easy-going and even loving, compassionate side after a hysterectomy which was totally unwarranted at that. I became a completely different person. I was extremely irritable and overwhelmed by everything. I had no interest or motivation whatsoever. Even my appearance changed overnight - from a very youthful looking 50 YO to an old hag. Not to mention the extreme menopausal type symptoms.

Estrogen has helped but I'm not nearly the vibrant, outgoing person I once was. Have you tried hormone replacement?

ladygnome responded:
are there other classic physical symptoms? Do you have a history of osteoporosis in the family? H.R.T. would help esp as you already have a hysterectomy, I've read that the ovaries can fail sooner if you've had the op.
A big question is how bad is the depression? How much is it affecting your life? There are self-help techniques for depression, and starting on a low dose anti-depressant medication might be worth trying.
Will it help to address those past issues with counselling or talking them over either with a friend or an anonnymous help line?
If the mood swings really do affect your quality of life then do seek help before asap.===

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to ladygnome's response:
Dear ladygnome and missalisa,
There are certainly some studies which show that women in the perimenopausal transition are more prone to depressive symptoms, and that estrogen will help. Indeed, in a classic study published about 10 years ago. a group of perimenopausal women had failed to respond to the antidepressant Zoloft; and when an estrogen patch was administered as well, a significant number of these women responded. So it is definitely worthwhile considering some estrogen. Remember that if you've had a hysterectomy, you do not have to take any progesterone; and trying a bit of estrogen is a relatively easy thing to try, to see if you feel better.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website