Includes Expert Content
Severe Mood Swings
missalisa posted:
I have had a hysterectomy in 2009 and I am presently experiencing severe mood swings. Am I in menopause? I am constantly angry over things that occur years ago that I guess I never addressed at that time. I feel miserable all the time. I need answers quick. Please!

Take the Poll

Is bipolar systems related to menopause?
  • YES
  • NO
  • MAYBE
  • NOT SURE
vote
View Poll Results

Anon_6061 responded:
I can sympathize! I lost my easy-going and even loving, compassionate side after a hysterectomy which was totally unwarranted at that. I became a completely different person. I was extremely irritable and overwhelmed by everything. I had no interest or motivation whatsoever. Even my appearance changed overnight - from a very youthful looking 50 YO to an old hag. Not to mention the extreme menopausal type symptoms.

Estrogen has helped but I'm not nearly the vibrant, outgoing person I once was. Have you tried hormone replacement?

ladygnome responded:
are there other classic physical symptoms? Do you have a history of osteoporosis in the family? H.R.T. would help esp as you already have a hysterectomy, I've read that the ovaries can fail sooner if you've had the op.
A big question is how bad is the depression? How much is it affecting your life? There are self-help techniques for depression, and starting on a low dose anti-depressant medication might be worth trying.
Will it help to address those past issues with counselling or talking them over either with a friend or an anonnymous help line?
If the mood swings really do affect your quality of life then do seek help before asap.===

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to ladygnome's response:
Dear ladygnome and missalisa,
There are certainly some studies which show that women in the perimenopausal transition are more prone to depressive symptoms, and that estrogen will help. Indeed, in a classic study published about 10 years ago. a group of perimenopausal women had failed to respond to the antidepressant Zoloft; and when an estrogen patch was administered as well, a significant number of these women responded. So it is definitely worthwhile considering some estrogen. Remember that if you've had a hysterectomy, you do not have to take any progesterone; and trying a bit of estrogen is a relatively easy thing to try, to see if you feel better.
Good luck,
Mary Jane