Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Longer menstrual period
CoraD posted:
I am 46 yrs. old It's my 18th day of heavy menstrual period. Is this a normal sign of menopause or should I panic.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear CoraD,
Please don't panic, but it's time to try to end this bleeding episode for you. You should let your health care provider know about the bleeding; you may need a blood count, to see if you need some extra iron; if there is a possibility of thyroid issues, some thyroid blood tests could be helpful; low thyroid levels can cause heavy bleeding. This could be the beginning of perimenopause, but it could also be related to things like fibroids or endometriosis. So check in with your health care provider, and do follow up with her or him, to keep this bleeding under control for you.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website