Skip to content
Continuing high basal body temperature in peri-menopause
An_253642 posted:
According to my bbt recordings, I ovulated almost four weeks ago. This was followed by a period starting two weeks later (i.e. 'on time') and the normal pattern of 3 or 4 days heavy flow followed by a couple of days of lighter flow. However, the higher temperatures have continued. I am also experiencing breast tenderness. I am 54 years old so presumably pre-menopausal! How likely is it that I am pregnant?

An_246914 responded:
Hello, I am charting my bbt through peri also. with O being 4 weeks ago, a pregnancy test would be accurate at this point, have you considered taking a HPT?

I keep getting told, chances are very slim for us (I will be 54 in a few weeks), but they are not zero until we go a year without a period.

I am cycle day 255 with no ovulation since December 26, 2012. Will I make it ? ? UGH !

An_246914 responded:
Hello .. I am just wondering how you are doing and if you have any resolution to your issue?

An_253642 replied to An_246914's response:
Hi,
I did do a pregnancy test which came out negative, but it took several more days for the temperatures to drop a bit. I've now had a few temps at 'pre-ovulation levels' so am waiting for an indication of the next ovulation.
I'm assuming that the long time with high temperatures is due to my hormones not behaving normally because of my age and I'll try not to worry so much if it happens again!
Hope you make it to the year - the longest I've had without a period is about 3 months and that also coincided with a fairly stressful time, so I'm wondering when I will ever make it to the end (I was 54 last month) . . .

An_246914 replied to An_253642's response:
Good Morning, I am relieved but not surprised that your HPT was negative. Being that we are the same age and that we are both charting our BBT, would you like to keep in touch ?

I have been charting my temperatures on the website TCOYF, my screen name is Patientone there. It would sure be great to have your inpute and support as we go through this time in our lives. There are only a couple ladies there charting through peri, the rest are either TTC or TTA and younger then us lol, but several women there that are very very good at reading bbt charts.

Cycle day 268 and counting !

SEWs_Mum replied to An_246914's response:
Hi,
I'm really sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I finally found some time to look at the TCOYF site and managed to sign in, but haven't worked out how to chart the temperatures! I will keep trying (any advice welcome) - my screen name is number61. (My temperatures are currently still at pre-ovulation levels.)

An_246914 replied to SEWs_Mum's response:
Good Morning! I searched for you there but didn't find you. On the upper right, you will see a tab that says "My Fertility".

If you post a hello on the message board under "Meet and Greet" it will link us to the site and you and I can message each other from there. I will look for you.

Hope tp see you soon!

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion - I've done this, so hopefully you'll now be able to find me. I've also successfully managed to chart some temperatures!

Hi,
I haven't had time to get to grips with the TCOYF site yet and find out how it works, and my husband is in hospital for a few days so even less time than usual! Hopefully I'll be able to do some proper messaging etc when things settle down a bit.
PS Still waiting to ovulate again!

An_246914 replied to SEWs_Mum's response:
Hello .. We'll be there for you

Well wishes to your husband !

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Darkened Skin above my lip
What can I do about dark skin above my upper lip. I have gone through menopause already. I have tried skin bleach to no avail. What do I ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website