Includes Expert Content
I am 52 and have fibroids
Luckyyyy posted:
I was diagnosed with fibroids when I was 38. The fibroids did not bother me much got my periods regularly till 8 months ago. Now I got my period after 8 months. Should I be worried since I have fibroids.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Luckyyyy,
Sorry to hear about all the stressors you've been dealing with, and it's very hard to tell you what symptoms are related to the stressors, as opposed to the perimenopause (which is where I suspect you are) or other things happening. In general, as to the fibroids, occasionally, in the perimenopausal time frame, they may grow a bit; but the good news, is once you are fully menopausal, and your estrogen levels really go down, they should shrink-so fibroids really don't pose a problem after menopause. If you prefer to avoid prescription medications, you might want to try a product like Remifemin or Remifemin good night for the sleep issues. I would strongly encourage you to get involved in a regular exercise program; it will help with stressors, sleep issues, and weight control.
And if symptoms persist, do check in with your health care provider, because you might feel better with some estrogen therapy.
Hope you feel better soon,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Luckyyyy responded:
Thank you Dr.Minkin I will take your advice and keep you posted about everything