Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HOW MANY YEARS DOES MENOPAUSE GO ON FOR AFTER PARTIAL HYSTERECTOMY
kimmothy posted:
Hi. I had a partial hysterectomy 7 years ago (I am 51) and have had menopausal symptoms for the last year. The symptoms last for about a week, go away for a few weeks and then start again. (Hot flushes, sore joints, extreme tiredness, thinning hair). How long can this go on for? I realise everyone is different, but for the average person, does this continue for many years?
I use a natural progesterone cream twice a day and when the symptoms appear, I up the amount of cream I use and this calms the symptoms down.
My questions is how many years could this continue for?
Many thanks!

katsmed responded:

kimmothy
Perimenopause phase, menopause symptoms can begin. This phase has been known to last for a decade or longer before menopause is actually complete. In fact, ten years is not an unusual time period for this phase of life.
A woman is said to have finished menopause when she has gone a full year without a menstrual period or any menstrual spotting. Therefore, menopausal symptoms can be said to last from the perimenopausal period until menstruation has stopped for a full year.

I decided to use the bio-identical hormone replacement cream which is really the only thing that helped me to feel "normal" (see my previous post).
Best wishes!

[br> [br>

Sharoncares responded:
It varies from woman to woman. For me, I started having hot flashes when I was in my late 30s and they have continued into my late 50s, just not quite as often. Use to, they would happen every 10-15 minutes. Now it varies, what's really strange is that I can go without drinking water for a little while, then drink water and I'll flash! Doesn't matter if the water is room temp or cold. Nothing has helped mine, I've just gotten use to the fact that their a part of my life. Best of luck to you, hoping yours go away better than mine.

Sharoncares replied to katsmed's response:
My periods stopped over a 15 years ago, been having hot flashes since my late 30s and am still having them in my late 50s.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website