Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Estrogen Patch SE
HouseOfBoys3 posted:
I had a partial hysterectomy 2.5 years ago. I started an estrogen patch of 37.5 for intense hot flashes and labile emotions. The patch works very well! However, shortly after starting the patch, I developed rather intense unpredictable lower right abdominal pain. I have had every test, including multiple CT scans and all are benign. I recently saw a gastro doc to arrange for a colonoscopy. He mentioned that sometimes, hormone replacement can start IBS symptoms. I do get the best pain relief from Bentyl. My age is 50 and I am constipated since taking the estrogen.
In your experience, have you had patients who develop IBS when initiating estrogen replacement?

Thank you so much!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear HouseOfBoys3,
I am glad to hear you are getting relief from the patch, but sorry to hear about your IBS symptoms. I learned many years ago that just about anything in medicine is possible; so although it is unusual to develop IBS from estrogen, I suppose it could happen. A couple of thoughts: are you working on your constipation issue: trying lots of fluids and fiber, even trying something like Metamucil or Citrucel on a regular basis can help. A lot of GI docs recommend probiotics for IBS symptoms; something like Provella or Align is over the counter, and worth a try.
Another option: you could try a 0.025 patch; they do come at that dose; or you could just cut your current patches in half; 37.5 is a very small dose; but you could see if you get some relief without the GI symptoms.
So all of these are do able-I hope something works well for you.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website