Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Menopause age
An_253796 posted:
Whats the youngest age a person can go through menopause?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_253796,
That's actually a good and difficult question. In general, the answer would be 35. However, there are some women with some unusual genetic conditions whose ovaries sort of "poop out" earlier than that. So If you are younger than 35 and it seems to you like you are menopausal, and no one is believing you, find a menopause expert on menopause.org, the website of the North American Menopause Society-because women who do go through menopause extra early need some special attention.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

sammiluba replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I'm only 22 and my mother went through is at 42 with out even knowing. She went to the doctor and they told her she was post menopause. I haven't had a period in about five to six months but i still get the cramp pains, i didn't know if 22 was too young or if there is something else going on with my body.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to sammiluba's response:
Dear Sammiluba,
Although early menopause does tend to run in families, I doubt that you are going through menopause. Do check in with your health care provider. First, are you sure you're not pregnant? If you're not pregnant, I would give you some progesterone for a week or 10 days (one pill a day) and my bet is at the end of the progesterone pills, you would get a period. The easiest tests to run would be blood tests for estrogen (estradiol) and an FSH test. If they are normal, you are not going through menopause. There are lots of other things that can give you irregular periods, and your health care provider can easily check for those with other blood tests. But one thing I do usually discuss with women whose moms have gone through early menopause. I would seriously think about planning on having children, if you would like to do so, by your 30's: I would not suggest waiting till your 40s to have a child, just in case you follow in your mother's patterns.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website