Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Paranoid
JanLynn posted:
Hi Everyone,
I'm reaching out to you ladies because I just don't know where to turn these days. Every since I've turned 50, I live my life in total paranoia. Everything in my head is horrible. I worry about my health and everyone In my family including my pets. Once I wake up in the morning I can't sleep cause I immediately start worrying. I have a 3rd follow up mammogram in a few weeks and I am burying myself already even tho. the first follow up turned out o.k. I realize that I need to make some healthier choices with the few habits I have, but I recognize them and am doing something about it. If any of you are like this please let me know. I would like to talk to my doctor, but I fear she would think I'm nuts and tell me things to make me even more paranoid. Thank you so much for your time!!

darlyn05 responded:
Hey JanLynn, Have you considered this to be one of the aspects(side effects rather) of menopause? If this is centered around the mamograms and/or breast biopsys(sp) you may have had, this is a normal, sort of 'knee jerk' reaction to the fear, concern and all of the unknown, uncertainty. I've experienced it 3 times on my right and once on my left breast. It is a terrible feeling, and discussing these things with your Dr will better able him/her to console and inform you. Perhaps suggest someone to talk with about your concerns.

Good Luck!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear JanLynn,
I'll just add a comment as a health care provider. No, I trust your health care provider will not think you're nuts! Many women do worry about their health; there's lots of health info in the media-so don't blame yourself for worrying. I would encourage you do continue to take good care of yourself; eat healthily, get as much exercise as you possibly can, and that includes mental exercising, like reading and doing puzzles, and encourage good health habits among your family members.
Hope you will start feeling better soon,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

JanLynn replied to darlyn05's response:
Hi Darlyn,
Thank you so much for replying!! I am considering this paranoia I have to be an aspect of menopause and was wondering if anyone else was like this? Thank you for sharing your experience also, ever since I've been in the medical field 3 years ago I've been paranoid of everything and I'm sure the menopause is helping. Its so bad I find it hard to enjoy my life anymore. I could be half nuts for sure! I will talk to my doc, she really is sweet I just feel like I can't take anything right about now. Thanks so much again!!!!!!!!!!!!

lisa9876 responded:
JanLynn,
I was this way for my entire life since about age 12. I am 42 now. It got so bad that after an anniversary trip during which I spent nearly the entire time fearing I would die, I went to my GP and said I can't do it anymore. I was afraid of everything. that I had a blood clot that would kill me, cancer that was forming, appendicitis about to flare, you name it I thought I had it and that it would turn deadly.
My GP is awesome. My husband came with me because I wanted him to hear and participate. He did not know the extent of my anxiety.
After a long discussion, it seems I might be a bit OCD and rather than washing my hands repeatedly or combing the fringe on rugs, I am OCD about my health. I also work in the medical field, so I know about all the rare and unusual events that can rob people of a normal life which I'm sure, raised my anxiety even more.
Anyway, I started on Citalapram to help reduce my anxiety and this has made such a huge huge huge difference in my life!! Instead of dwelling on my fears when they pop in my mind, I am able to move on! I'm not suggesting this is the answer for you, but let me tell you, after nearly 30 years of my paranoia/fear of contracting serious health issues or my family contracting serious health issues, I am living again.

I hope you are able to find some relief from your worry. Some worry is normal, but when it controls you---well, I hope your dr. listens closely and that s/he hears the level of concern in your message. I had to swallow my pride and say blatantly where I was at---the bottom. I couldn't do it anymore--trying to deal with it on my own. I was miserable during a time I should have been having the time of my life (on that vacation). I spoke plainly and she listened thoroughly.

Best wishes!! You are not alone!

orvos replied to lisa9876's response:
JanLin, Lisa,
I did not realize I am not the only one with such problems. Everyone looks so happy around me, and felt bad to share my concerns...

I had the same problem as you had: working in medical field, living with fears/anxiety, worry all the time. one of my classmate recommended citalopram, what made a big difference, I felt great. A few month ago started to have night sweats, could not go back to sleep,missed my period,and turned out I'm in perimeno. Now I take birth control pills, still have ups and downs, and waiting to be normal again....
Best wishes Ladies!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website