Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Menopause
An_253863 posted:
I am 52 years old, will be 53 in late December just before Xmas. For 8 months now I have had no periods and thought I am in menopause, because of the hot flashes, sweating, constantly hot, tired, bloated. Now, 2 nights ago, b-a-a-a-d cramps (we're talkin' doubled over on my bed doing pregnancy-style breathing here, which I sometimes had in the past to signal the oncoming of a period), and the next day light bright red slight bleeding. Still very slight compared to the niagara falls-style periods of the past, but slightly crampy and moody. I thought after 8 months I was through with them! Why does this happen?!

Anon_6061 responded:
You aren't in menopause until you've gone a full year without a period. There have been other women who've posted here that they weren't far from that one year mark when they had a period and had to start counting all over again. It would seem at your age, you should be near the end!

mc888 replied to Anon_6061's response:
I'm 50 and haven't had a period in 8 months and have no symptoms . When do the symptoms start after you haven't had a period for a year????/

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website