Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Menopause twice
spoe0807 posted:
I had a full hysterectomy at age 31 and went through menopause. I was HRT until ago 50. I was off HRT until age 51 and for a year I was on bioidentical hormones. At age 53 I am experiencing unexplained weight gain in my belly and hotflashes again. Is it possible to go through menopause twice??

Anon_6061 responded:
Although you can only "go through menopause" once, the symptoms can certainly reappear. Any fluctuation in hormones can cause menopausal type symptoms - starting HRT, stopping HRT, increasing/decreasing dose. Sometimes the adrenals can pick up the slack but usually only temporarily.

The ovaries of women who have all their parts produce hormones into their 80's. These hormones are essential for optimal health and well-being. So it seems reasonable that those of us without ovaries (or post-hysterectomy ovarian failure) should be able to take hormones well past the age of natural menopause (age 50/51). I personally cannot imagine functioning without estrogen.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to Anon_6061's response:
And I'd just like to add one more comment, for reassurance. Remember the WHI study showed that women without a uterus, who didn't have to take progestin with their estrogen, did not show any increased risk of breast cancer with over 7 years of therapy (and that would apply to therapy after the age of 50-remember that estrogen taken before the age of 50 does not count as "extra estrogen"-since the average age of menopause is 51-so really, someone with a uterus who is taking estrogen only therapy, until she reaches the age of 57, has no increased risk of breast cancer from taking estrogen therapy.)-so be reassured that taking estrogen only therapy through the mid fifties really is quite safe (that is what you've been hearing this week in the news, too)-
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website