Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
This is crazy
geeolee posted:
My mom didn't go through menopause until she was 64. I'm 65 and have every imaginable symptom of menopause. The one thing that bothers me most is the out of control unpredictable bleeding. You have to know that I've always had nasty heavy periods since I was about 10. I'd been to doctors and taken everything to help but all of if didn't work. So, it's back to living with it and hoping it stops. As for this moment, I was startled awake by a sudden gushing of blood so fled to the bathroom. I probably am one of the major buyers for all those heavy duty pads they make. I've been told that I had MS, Elephant Man's disease(see the movie), and lupus. My body does its own thing and always has and I'm used to it but these gushes are too much and can last for a few minutes, an hour, a day, or several days. Also, I have months of being as dry as a desert plus hot and cold flashes, mood swings, insomnia, and everything else all the time.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Geeolee,
This is a very unusual pattern, and I feel sorry for what you are experiencing. One option (in case you haven't discussed this with your gynecologist) would be to use periodic dosages of progestins (something like norethindrone) to help control your bleeding. What happens when we head into menopause is that we stop ovulating well; and progesterone is the policeman of the lining of the uterus, controlling bleeding. So using intermittent dosages of a progestin can be helpful in controlling the bleeding; and this is not estrogen.
Do check in with your gynecologist; there are things that could be done to help, as you wait for the ovaries to stop making their own estrogen.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

geeolee replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I don't have a gynecologist. I did not take Medicare Part B at the time it was offered. I have zero trust in doctors. I don't respond well to those kinds of drugs, At one point, a gynecologist put me on birth control pills (1970's). It was a disaster. It did control the bleeding but I had horrible cramping. He then placed me on Stilbesterol which was just as bad. My periods were never regular, could be outlandishly heavy, and unpredictable. I'd have a period then two weeks later have another one or miss a month. The bleeding was debilitating at times and the cramps would cause me to double over. Anything could and did happen, now this. Right now, I bleed from the vagina and urethra as well.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to geeolee's response:
Dear Geeolee,
Sorry to hear about your previous experiences with doctors. Just a couple of points: you could check in with any primary care physician about these issues; it doesn't need to be a gynecologist. And the medications which were prescribed for you in the 70's aren't even made any more; we used much higher doses of birth control pills (not that you would be prescribed any birth control pills now, of course-but the doses of all hormonal medications have been very reduced) and stilbestrol isn't prescribed at all these days. With the issues you are describing, I would recommend you check in with some health care provider.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

geeolee replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
The new antibiotics only suppress an infection which I found out in 2007. I found out after going to a clinic for a cat bite. If my immune system hadn't kicked in after the infection had been suppressed there's no telling what the outcome might have been. No hormones even reduced in strength. I have become more sensitive to drugs as I age. I was in therapy for nearly severe PTSD for 15 years. One of the results of PTSD, even with a successful therapeutic outcome, was the complete and non retrievable loss of trust in everyone.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website