Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
hot flashes
0417terry posted:
I hear everyone talking about hot flashes, but does anyone suffer from painful ones? I get hot, additionally, my front of my body hurts, hard to discribe, kind of like elecrtical pain, this mostly happens at night, starts about 10 minutes after I go to sleep, and wakes me up at least 3-4 times a night. I talked to my doc and she said she had not heard about painful flashes. My memory is poor, I'm tired from lack of sleep (2 years) and see no end in sight. Please let me know if any thing works for you hot flashes.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear 0417terry,
Hot flashes themselves aren't usually associated with pain. However, many women in perimenopause experience a generalized "achy" sensation; indeed, in the Philippines, achiness is the number one complaint of women, above hot flashes. Estrogen therapy in general relieves that sense of achiness. It would also be likely to help your sleep situation; and of course, when you are exhausted, you feel that much worse. So if you haven't talked to your gynecologist about estrogen, you should consider it.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

An_246914 responded:
I have that 'electrical pain' in my lower legs and feet right before a hot flash at night. Not so much during the day, but at night it's pretty profound.

It's a familiar feeling to me, I don't like heights and when I am up too high and look down I get the same feeling in my lower legs and feet. (it's the heeby jeeby feeling lol)

I don't know what it is, why it happens at night or what it has to do with hot flashes, but alas - it's there!

0417terry replied to An_246914's response:
thank you for your responding, I get the same feeling from heights! Or if I look up at the sky, looking at planes! Its nice to know someone out there feels the same way! Thanks again.

An_246914 replied to 0417terry's response:
Yes it is ! i do wonder what it is though ... it's not 'achy' Dr. Mary Jane, it's more stinging, electrical.. and mine is only in my feet and lower legs. Once the hot flash comes, it's gone. Well, until the next hot flash is on the horizon.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Darkened Skin above my lip
What can I do about dark skin above my upper lip. I have gone through menopause already. I have tried skin bleach to no avail. What do I ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website