Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Menopause for 10 yrs
blueskys_us posted:
I have been in menopause for 10 yrs and just started two months ago on hormone therapy. Now I started bleeding going on two days now and I am worried. What could be causing this?

Anon_6061 responded:
Hormone therapy is more than likely the culprit and not something serious. Some other typically benign things that can cause bleeding are fibroids and polyps. But any post-menopausal bleeding should be checked out.

What form of HRT are you taking? I assume you know that since you have a uterus, you need to take a progestin or progesterone (continuously or cycled) if you take estrogen.

blueskys_us replied to Anon_6061's response:
combi patch 14 mg a day is all low dose. Is that what you mean? And Oh my Gosh I have been freaking out over this, the bleeding that is. I read up on it and what they said was scary .. the least it can be is polyps and the most it can be is cancer, that being the scary part. I have no insurance been trying to obtain some but I cannot afford to go to the doctor without it. I am going to make an appointment anyways. Thanks for replying

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to blueskys_us's response:
Dear Bluesys_us,
Please relax! As Anon_6061 pointed out, just starting hormone therapy can start bleeding up, without it being polyps or hyperplasia or anything like that. If I were that betting guy from Las Vegas, I would bet that it is indeed related to the hormone therapy. That being said, I would certainly recommend that you check in with your health care provider; just to make sure that the bleeding is indeed nothing serious. And if it is something like polyps, that is very easily remedied, without major surgery-
Good luck,
Mary Jane

blueskys_us replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you so much for your reply... I am thankful I had someone to talk to, If I talk to my family they all get upset that something is going to happen to me so I have no one really.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website