Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Spotting
An_254103 posted:
I recently turned 52, haven't had a cycle in 6mos. This weekend I have been spotting is this normal?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_254103,
Indeed, until you go a full year without a period, we cannot say that you are fully menopausal; so this is not uncommon. If you do have spotting that recurs (and no real periods) I would suggest checking in with your health care provider; spotting at times could represent something like a polyp in the lining of your uterus, so we'd want to check it out. But bleeding events showing up erratically are very common in the perimenopausal time frame,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

tevana replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Dear Mary Jane: I am in a similar situation with last full period mid-May; spotting off and on until August 1st. Nothing since then until very slight spot yesterday and then light spotting today. Could antibiotics for the past week and a half (2 types back to back) cause spotting? I'm also on 400 billion probiotics to try to produce good bacteria in my intestines, but I am having intestinal issues just the same.

Very brief history: MRI May 2013 findings: two large fibroids (8 cm and 6 cm) plus others disbursed throughout, most with submucosal components. Deviation in endo stripe caused by dominant fibroid. Non-simple cyst on ovary (gone by follow up ultrasound for that reason on 7/31).

My menstrual history is of very heavy periods followed by spotting practically until the next period. Two hysteroscopies for fibroids, most recent 1/2011. Mostly lighter periods since that last hysteroscopy, mixed in with spotting. Sometimes yellow discharge as well that sometimes preceded period by a couple days.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to tevana's response:
Dear Tevana,
You have several variables here: sounds like perimenopause and submucous fibroids. Should we blame the antibiotics? Probably not. The good news is that hopefully your fibroids will start shrinking soon, and pose fewer problems. If the bleeding is annoying, you might want to consider taking a round of progestin therapy every two to three months, to try to minimize the irregular spotting. (five to ten days of Provera or Aygestin would probably do the trick for you).
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Red Clover Blossoms
I have done research and have been using red clover blossom 2x daily(750 mg from most vitamin places). I no longer get get hot flashes. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website