Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Study: Ovarian cancer screening may soon improve
bookbah posted:
A recent study finds repeat use of the CA125 test can identify ovarian cancers at much earlier stages. Big deal for a lot of us considering HRT, if this pans out. I am showing the academic study cited in this lay article to my gyno.

http://www.biosciencetechnology.com/articles/2013/10/ovarian-cancer-screening-prompts-optimism-first-time

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
To all of our readers:
Although CA-125 has been around for a long time, it is not recommended as a routine screen for ovarian cancer. If you do have a strong family history of ovarian or breast cancer, do check in with your health care provider about whether or not you should be considering genetic tests, such as BRCA.
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website