Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Ovarian cysts in menopause
peblezz posted:
I have been in menopause for about 3-4 years now (prematurely) and I have a ovarian cyst about 3 cm. I have a history of cystadenoma, not on the same ovary. What would you recommend?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Peblezz,
Good question; and you certainly could get different recommendations from different gynecologists. The old answer would have been "remove it"-however, most folks these days would definitely want to watch it, with a transvaginal ultrasound; some would also recommend doing a CA-125 blood test. If the CA-125 were normal, and the cyst remained stable, many folks these days would recommend continued observation. So no matter what, you want to follow it-but it is reasonable to observe it, rather than operate.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Red Clover Blossoms
I have done research and have been using red clover blossom 2x daily(750 mg from most vitamin places). I no longer get get hot flashes. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website