Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ovarian cysts in menopause
peblezz posted:
I have been in menopause for about 3-4 years now (prematurely) and I have a ovarian cyst about 3 cm. I have a history of cystadenoma, not on the same ovary. What would you recommend?

Anon_6061 responded:
Since it's only 3 cm, monitoring it via ultrasound would seem reasonable. I thought complex cysts (cystadenoma being one type of complex cyst) did not go away on their own. But I know several women who had complex cysts that did disappear. Although complex cysts can be malignant, MOST are benign. If they need to be removed, it's best to have just the cyst removed (cystectomy) versus the ovary to preserve normal hormone production.

Of course, if you have a family history of ovarian cancer, then a more aggressive treatment may be warranted.

Anon_6061 responded:
Forgot to say that even cysts formed after menopause are usually benign. This link has a lot of info - http://ovaryresearch.com/ovarian_cysts.htm.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website